A new floral painting

Previous

Last week my wife and I went to a local art supply store and they were selling 11x14" cradled wood panels in packs of four. I’ve wanted to try painting on one of these for ages but was always worried I’d “waste” it if I did a bad painting. She convinced me that was just silly and we bought some. Have I ever mentioned how awesome it is to have such a supportive wife?

I wasn’t sure what to paint on it at first, but finally decided if it was going to be a “first”, I might as well choose something new, so she helped me find a great flower arrangement in a teapot which was delivered the same day. I usually avoid floral paintings because, frankly, I’m intimidated by the challenge!

I also decided that I was going to allow myself to paint however it came out, rather than trying for a particular style. I put out a really basic palette - mixing white, cadmium yellow medium, cadmium red medium and cobalt blue - and just went for it. After about 4 or 5 hours and three sessions (and the late addition of pure titanium white for the highlights and brightest petals) this painting is the end result. 

I didn’t waste a panel and I did a flower painting I really like. It really does pay to push past your comfort zones!

flowers in teapot - 1


All content on this site is Copyright © L. P. Baker and may not be used without prior written permission!